View Single Post

Old 06-05-2009, 06:00 AM

Liked 8,912 Times in 2,574 Posts

Wow, our NM blackies must not have read that research. I've got a friend up in the east mountains who kills his (treed by dogs - perhaps not the same thing as charging, but let's not confuse the overgrown-raccoon blackies with the Terminator griz ) all the time with a SP-101 and whatever 158-grain JHP .357 he's got in there. (Bear lard really IS the thing for baking, BTW, but make sure it's not a "garbage bear.")

I carry a handload that uses a max charge of Blue Dot to throw a 180-grain TVB hardcast at 1230 fps from my 3" 65-5. And I feel quite convinced that it will adequately penetrate any animal in the state of New Mexico at defensive distances, and stop said animal given proper shot placement (which is always the thing, isn't it?).

Marshal Tom, I believe you're carrying a wonderful load for this purpose. Don't worry about the heavy bullet load in the K-frame (as long as you keep it clean - lead in any forcing cone can give you problems) - the forcing cone damage you may have read about was linked to 125-grainers.

And, speaking of shot-placement, you don't shoot bears in the eye . . .