View Single Post

Old 05-17-2009, 11:53 PM

Liked 33,225 Times in 9,073 Posts

Here’s what Joe Miller told me in an email in January 2007: I’ve never heard of Colt doing any Target Hammers on the OMTs. I've seen a lot of King hammers and all of them have been marked King. The only other Hammers I've seen were from Roper, the same Roper that did the grips, they look real professional, something like a factory would do but they are not marked in any way. One way you may be able to tell is that all I've seen have the checkering running to a point toward the front of the hammer and the checkering is a bit coarser than the King type hammers. Does the OMT have any Roper items on it? Many times a shooter would send a gun to King or Roper for a re-work or tune up. Roper did his own type of Rear sights, Front Sights, Grips, and Hammers. I've never seen any of these items marked Roper but know for sure from owning guns that belonged to the original owners that had Roper do the work.

When I bought the OMT, it did not have the Roper stocks, but regular factory grips. Swapped for ‘em later.

Re "...but wow, what an action...," when I got this OMT, I asked Grant Cunningham, the well-known revolversmith, to go over it for me, basically just to clean and oil it. He, too, remarked that whoever did the action work sure knew what he was doing.
The Following 5 Users Like Post: