Thread: SR-4756 in 357
View Single Post

Old 05-06-2009, 08:25 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Skip,

I am sorry if I appear to be incosistent. I try not to be. The loads that I quoted were loaded by me using DuPont and later IMR data. As far as the current data that Hodgdon lists, I can't say that I ever saw it before. However, I try to collect every manual that becomes available, and have DuPont data back to 1975 and IMR data as recent as 2004. For going on the last 20 years, IMR, and DuPont before them, listed a max load for the 158 SWC at 7.7 grains of 4756 in the .357. That is what my 1990, 1998 and 2004 data sheets from IMR show.

I haven't spoken with anyone from Hodgdon, but from the data you are referring to it would appear that the data were recently (some time after 2004) re-shot using the conformal transducer set-up and hence the pressures are in PSI. The sole exception to this are the Trailboss data which are still in CUP. Go figure! Since the allowable pressures in the .357 are different depending on the measurement system (CUP vs PSI), that would explain the difference in the max loads. I would point out that Lyman still uses the CUP standard as well as Accurate Arms. Accurate Arms used the newer PSI standard for their data in their #1 Manual, but went back to the older CUP standard for their #2(Revised) manual. When they did so, the STARTING loads for the CUP data were the MAX loads from the PSI data. There is that much difference between the two standards for the .357.

So as near as I can tell, the loads that I provided velocity for are still within allowable pressures for the .357.