View Single Post

Old 05-10-2009, 05:23 PM
SWCA Member

Liked 6,739 Times in 2,624 Posts

Quote:
Originally posted by aterry33:
In almost every discussion I've heard, most people identify one of these three revolvers as Smith & Wesson's "best":

Model 15
Model 19
Model 29

Of course, they are different guns for different uses, but if you had to choose one revolver as Smith and Wesson's "best," which would you choose, and why? I know it is kind of an apples/oranges/unfair question.

I guess I'd choose the 19 due to versatility and balance.
Depends entirely on your definition of "best." If it means the finest revolver they have ever built, my vote goes to the original .357 Magnum and its offspring, the Model 27, NOT including the strange PC variations and odd looking "creations" of late.

If your definition means best for defense, then that is probably the Combat Magnum - small enough to carry, even concealed and can shoot 38s mostly and magnums when you need them.

If best is the one you carry most, then the J frame Airweight, such as the 642 or the Chief's Special Model 37 get the nod.

If best means most accurate, then the Model 17 gets the nod (I would have specified the Model 41, but you limited your question to revolvers).

If best means cutting edge technology, then the scandium/titanium J frames get the nod.

If best means most famous, then the Model 29 in "Dirty Harry" guise wins.

Let's face it - it is nearly impossible to pick just one S&W, whether it be for personal use, or in a list like this.
The Following 2 Users Like Post: