View Single Post

Old 05-09-2009, 09:23 AM

Liked 351 Times in 243 Posts

Bart, I made my guys shoot from 70+ yds once, some of them actually hit the paper a couple of times but they never wanted to try it again. The worst thing I ever did to them was make them lay their firearms down on a piece of cardboard and then take two steps to the right.
We were a small dept. and carried our own weapons of our own choosing, as long as we qualified with them. It was funny to see them load and shoot guns they never felt before, but I was serious. If they were ever involved in a bad case scenario like Miami, and their handgun was rendered inoperable, their lives would depend on what they could pick up. I did have to give the officer that picked up my revolver a quick lesson on how to operate it. By the time I left they were all carrying some form of Glock or S&W Sigma so that trick wasn't as effective.

Speaking of Glock, I am going to concede a little on the Auto thing. I know when officers went to autos they had a real hard time learning how to use them. When the idiot models, Glock, Sigma and DAO, came out they picked them up a little better. Although when they had malfunctions they would still just stand there and look at it.

I admire your fellow instructor that shoots with both hands. I'm a lefty and shoot with both hands also, sometimes both at once. I started that after reading Ed McGiverns book fast and fancy revolver shooting. But I think being a lefty in a righty world actually gives me an advantage because it make me more ambidextrious. Most officers I know can't shoot very well with their left hands and don't take the time to try and learn. But since they are so close to the target at re-quals they get a couple of hits and are fine with that.

Quote:
Unless you're Jerry Miculek, reloading a revolver quickly is always an issue.
Dennis, I'm not Jerry, but I can shoot somewhat like him. And it's not a good thing for a gunfight. It does draw a crowd at the range and interrupt training classes though.