View Single Post

Old 06-03-2009, 01:51 AM

Liked 233 Times in 106 Posts

Quote:
I have a three year old boy who, for reasons beyond my comprehension, is unafraid of snakes.
He's NORMAL!!
Children learn from their environment. He's had nothing to prejudice him against those cold legless critters. As a former three year old who has grown up without a fear of snakes, I attribute it to my parents who were sensible about them. I also learned by 6 what was venomous and what was not. I would worry more about an unsupervised three year old outside being snatched by a member of our species.

Quote:
I have been warned by the neighbors to be aware of cottonmouth snakes that sometimes get into the yards in the area.
Cottonmouths live in an aquatic/semiaquatic environment. You don't mention creeks, ponds or swamps in your neighborhood. And if there was a close examination made of the snakes killed by the neighbors, most if not all would be nonvenomous. If I were you, I'd get a bunch of king snakes and turn them loose. They not only eat rodents but also other snakes, reducing your threat risk. Of course you have to educate your neighbors as to the benefits of having them in residence.
The Following 2 Users Like Post: