View Single Post

Old 05-13-2009, 06:20 AM

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

I bought my first gun about a month ago and it is a S&W M&P .40 FS. I purchased this for home protection, but since then have applied for my concealed weapon permit and realized that this gun is way too big for me to carry. I have found, much to my amazement, I love going to the range and shooting it. I went today to buy the M&P .40 compact but was told that the compact would have more recoil than the my FS.... I'm not sure if the recoil would be too much for me on the compact if it is more than the full size, because I have so much less gun to hold on to. I don't mind the recoil on my FS, but am really not sure if I could comfortably handle any more recoil on the compact. So I would like any opinions as to if I should get the M&P compact in a 9mm. Does anyone have both the FS and Compact M&P .40 that could verify how much more the recoil is on the compact? Also how does the accuracy compare between a FS and Compact? Thanks

UPDATE May 16,2009
Ok, I "Bit the Bullet" Went out today and bought myself the M&P .40 Compact! Since my ccw hasn't come in yet I have to wait until Thursday to pick it up.. but that's ok, becuase Thursdays is Ladies day at the range so it won't cost me anything to try it out.
After putting 200 more rounds through our M&P .40 FS this past week I am confident I'll have no problem with the compact and this way both guns are the same caliber. I held all different makes and models of compact guns again this week and for some reason nothing feels as comfortable as the M&P Compact which was exactly the reason we bought the FS and couldn't be happier with our choice. Thanks to everyone with your comments and suggestions on this.

Update - May 23, 2009
In case anyone has the same questions, I thought I'd give an update now that I have used my M&P .40 Compact. It definately has more kick than it's big brother but is completely manageable. Actually I love the feel of the power and I'm very happy with the decision to go with the .40 over the 9mm in the compact. Thanks again everyone for your imput!