Thread: FBI 1076
View Single Post

Old 02-22-2009, 06:47 PM
SWCA Member

Liked 6,739 Times in 2,624 Posts

Quote:
Originally posted by M29since14:
Quote:
DECOCKER: Then there is the frame or slide mounted decocker. This is something that maybe is obvious to others,but I assume that this similar to my 469 S&W 9mm with the decocker on the frame. I am not sure what it looks like when it is slide mounted, if anyone can show me the differnce here then that would be great. Okay, let's see what you know?
I was following along pretty well until you got to this. A 1076 has to have a frame-mounted decocker, like a SIG, does it not? It wouldn't be a 1076 otherwise.

I have never seen a 469 with a frame-mounted decocker, but if there is such a thing, please excuse my ignorance. The frame-mounted decocker on a 1076 bears no similarity to the one on a 469 slide.

There are some real FBI-1076 experts here, so hopefully, before too long, one of them will come along and answer your questions. You're in the right place.
Although not an expert by the standards around here, I would say that the FBI 1076 pistols differed from regular 1076s more in that the FBI pistols had a unique trigger system, designed or suggested by the FBI to accomodate their strange teaching of "prepping the trigger" as it was so-called. This was most likely the downfall of the FBI 1076 as I understand it. The FBI specified trigger mechanism caused trouble and failures. If they had used the regular S&W trigger system, the 1076 might have survived to be issued agency wide.

The other difference as I understand it is that the FBI 1076s had a unique grip with palmswells that was not the same as the standard straight or curved backstrap grips used on commercial Third Gen pistols.

There were likely other differences, but if I were going to use a 1076, I would send it back and make sure the standard trigger and hammer arrangement were in the pistol rather than the train wreck of a mechanism specified by the FBI.

"Prepping the trigger" which was described in a magazine article at the time, involved partially pulling the trigger back when preparing to shoot so as to make the trigger reach shorter. This violates so many rules of gun safety that it is a good thing this "doctrine" has been buried and did not see the light of day with other agencies.
The Following 3 Users Like Post: