View Single Post

Old 02-06-2009, 10:30 AM
US Veteran

Liked 8,848 Times in 1,529 Posts

Quote:
One question. My only exposure to Smith DAOs was a 6946. The trigger was so bad that I dumped it within a week. The best pistol shots I knew shook their heads after shooting it.

jaysouth,
Honestly, the majority of DAO guns I've had the opportunity to inspect/play with have had fantastic actions. While I've heard of experiences like yours, it's a rare thing, not unexpected for a company putting out lots of product, but unusual in my opinion. All my DAO guns, with the exception of the two "one of a kind" PC models shown above, have factory original actions which are smooth and crisp. I've had more than a few folks ask me who worked the actions over, because they are so good. And, I never had the opportunity to pick and choose between several of a particular model, since these are generally hard to find on dealers shelves, now and back then.

As to how to clean up one, I really can't advise because I've never had a third gen gun apart for such an exercise. I'd suspect that one that was horribly bad would be best looked at by the factory, they do stand behind their products and the lifetime warranty should be a hedge against additional costs on your part.