View Single Post

Old 12-30-2007, 01:29 AM

Liked 15 Times in 3 Posts

UPDATE is below.

A co-worker has one, Colt 1909 .45 LC. It's been trough a lot. Bad pitting, dinged up, and appears the bottom of the but where the lanyard ring attaches, this ones a broken screw post, has been ground off and no markings are visible. The serial number is 872xx. There is a marking on the left side of frame above the latch and just below the top strap. The marking is a symbol that looks like a stick standing in a glass bowl. Under that little symbol is G7 and under that is an E. I think this is a Colt, the barrel markings except for a number 5 on top of barrel are gone because of pitting rust. Some 1909's had the Colt logo and some didn't. The 5 looks like it's in the place where the Colt dates and things were stamped on top of the barrel.

I've been going blind looking on the internet for info. One site said that some were sent to the Manila Ordinance Depot in the Philipines and some to other Depot's and a small quanitiy was sent to civilian market.

Does anyone know what the marks on the frame mean? And does anyone know if Colt's design was copied by other Countrys or makers?

I am always impressed by the info I find here even if it's not a Smith.

Thanks for any info.

++++++UPDATE++++++

More internet research showed that:
It appears to be a Colt New Service 455 Eley Revolver made in 1915. The markings are British Military. The broad arrow is a British Government Inspection and Acceptance mark. The crown and G7 is an inspection stamp. The E is an Enfield Armory Inspection mark.

The info you guys gave me made finding more about it a whole lot easier.

Thanks again everyone!