View Single Post

Old 02-17-2008, 08:49 AM

Liked 11 Times in 2 Posts

Hello again all,
I have a 5 screw, Brit proofed, lanyard wearing Smith & Wesson revolver that has "Parker-Hale .22 conversion" stamped in a milled out spot on the R/S of its 6 inch barrel. A close look shows that its cylinder & barrel is sleeved from a .38. Not sure if it started life out as a .38 spl or .38 S&W. The left side is stamped “22lr .610"” above the standard “Smith & Wesson”. In between this is stamped “BNP 8 TCNSFER”.

It has a square butt and wears diamond grips. The left grip is rounded at the bottom and appears to have been made that way (as opposed to being done after it left the factory). It gives the pinky finger a comfortable place to rest. It had fixed sights at birth but part of the conversion included notching the rear of the front sight to make it look like a target sight and milling out the top strap and mounting some primitive looking adjustable sights.

The butt serial numbers is 7345xx and the number on the yoke and frame is 68630. Anyone shed some light on the dual serial numbers?

I'm thinking it was an early model 10 (M&P ?) from 1935 - 1940.

I picked it up about 18 months ago at a local gun show for $250. I've been told it is a common gun and I paid too much but I have yet to see another like it. Either way, I think it’s a cool piece of history and I’m glad to own it.

I took some photos & will figure out how to post later on. I look forward to hear all of your opinions

Thanks