View Single Post

Old 11-24-2006, 02:05 PM
US Veteran

Liked 2,719 Times in 724 Posts

To add to the confusion, I am holding a full Peters box exactly like the one pictured by Michael. But it has the small primers. The lot number in the left flap is: F13N 162

I also have two boxes of the Western Super-X .357 just like Butch pictured. Both of mine are identical except that it is obvious that the printing is from different batches since the "Coated Bullet" and the "158 Grain" are slightly different type sizes (only a couple of points, I'd guess). One of them says "Lubricating Alloy" under the Lubaloy and the other doesn't. On the one which doesn't say "Lubricating Alloy", a dense black line has been printed over "Nickel Plated Case". The projectile in both is lubaloy and one case is nickel plated and one isn't. The non-plated rounds have a second crimp.

Ray Giles just published a beautiful book entitled "One Hundred Years of Winchester Cartridge Boxes 1856-1956". Most of the boxes are of rifle cartridges but the style of boxes should also carry over into the revolver lines. Ray's web site is: www.rtgammo.com

Bob