Thread: FBI 1076
View Single Post

Old 02-23-2009, 09:23 AM

Liked 95 Times in 39 Posts

dacoontz,

Thank you for your interest in the FBI 1076. The pistol has a fascinating history that reads like a mystery novel. Below you will find a list of features and commomanalities regarding FBI 1076s. I hope the information will be of value to you and others with an interest in the pistol.

Please note that I have never been able to verify that the FBI 1076 has a "special trigger group." Neither any S&W employees nor any FBI employees involved with the pistol program I have spoken to recalled anything about any special trigger group modifications. Contemporary magazine writers mentioned the special trigger at the time but that is all I have been able to decifer to date as to the origin of this story. I have been unable to find any difference between the trigger operation of an FBI 1076 versus a civilian 1076. I would love to hear from anyone with additional inforation concerning the trigger group or any other aspects of the history of the FBI 1076.

Good luck and Thanks!

There are no specific identifiable markings on a Model 1076 that can be used to conclusively identify a S&W Model 1076 as being an FBI Model 1076

There are only two ways to conclusively identify an FBI Model 1076
? An authentication History Letter from S&W Historian Roy Jinks showing the pistol was shipped to the FBI
? The original serial number matching S&W box with a label stamped “FBI Academy” or "FBI"

An FBI 1076:
• may have a law enforcement caution statement (early shipments/TFE1376) etched on the slide or no caution statement at all (later shipments/TFK6397); it has been reported but not verified that an FBI 1076 had a civilian caution statement
• has no magazine safety; however numerous other 1076s shipped to other law enforcement agencies also have no magazine safety and some agencies ordered the 1076 with the magazine safety in place
• may (TEU0042), or may not (TFK6202), have a hole machined into the slide for the magazine disconnect plunger
• may have a silver (TFP3277) or black trigger (THB9268)
• may be equipped with a straight grip (TFN9890), palm swell grip (TFP3266) or an arch style grip
• does not have a “special trigger group;” it reportedly never existed
• does not have an “ambidextrous safety”
• magazine will have the S&W logo and some may also bear the “AccuGuide TM Patent Pending” stamp
• may have an aluminum steel guide rod (TEU0042) but most pistols have a stainless steel guide rod
• may have white dot (TFE1376) or Novak tritium night sights (TFS3559)
• may or may not have the two dots punched under the decocker lever indicating factory recall inspection was performed; also S&W sometimes completed the recall without stamping the frame with the two dots
• frame grip may have vertical lines cut for grip (TFE1376) or it may have checkered or cross-hatch) cut grooves (TFK6397)
• original box may be cardboard (TFP3561) or a special Performance Center blue plastic box (TFS3943)
• original box may have the original label reflecting shipment to "FBI ACADEMY" (TFE1376), or "FBI" and one label with a barcode reflecting shipment as a “USED GUNS” or two labels – both the original and and an overlayed "USED GUNS" label
• original box may reflect Product Codes 179000, 105018, 105900 and possibly others
• original box may reflect any number of Special Order Codes, e.g., 0198, 0130, 0265, 1134, 8258; there is no one single code
• may come with magazines having either yellow or white followers
• may have been buffed to a brilliant stainless steel shine by civilian owner (TEU0246)
• may be accompanied by 11-round and/or 15-round magazines (TEU0042)

http://s185.photobucket.com/albums/x27/dmc8163/?action=...FBI1076s-1a.jpg[IMG]

http://s185.photobucket.com/albums/x27/dmc8163/?action=...FBI1076s-2.jpg[/IMG]
The Following 3 Users Like Post: