View Single Post

Old 11-01-2008, 05:21 PM
Administrator

Liked 3,973 Times in 600 Posts

Here is an update about my M14-1 4". I have done some research into Sergeant Harold Wilkins and his M14-1.

To bring you up to speed, here is the salient part of my letter from Mr. Jinks:

"We have researched your Smith & Wesson Model Model 15 K-38 Combat Masterpiece .38 S&W Special, revolver in company records which indicate that your handgun, with serial number K43179x was shipped from our factory on April 20, 1961, and delivered to K.M. Williams Co., Kansas City, MO, picked up by PTL Harold Wilkins, Columbus, Ohio. The records indicate that this firearm was shipped with a 4 inch barrel, blue finish and checkered walnut grips. This revolver may be marked as a Model 14-1, but the invoice lists it as a Model 15. There six units all in the same configuration. K.M. Williams was Smith & Wesson's Sales Representative for the Midwest. It appears to me that these revolvers were built to fill a rush order, but the invoice does not provide any additional information."

A forum member pointed me to a friend of Sergeant Harold Wilkins. This gentleman is very active in shooting sports and the NRA to this day. Please remember I was asking this gentleman to remember back 48 years, so take all of this in the spirit it is given. Below is a compilation of his information and my supposition.

1961 was the last year that what became known as PPC was sponsored by Colt. At that time there was a rule that said the gun must qualify as a service weapon in the department in which you serve. Because of that, the Columbus Police Department's shooting team was required to use 4" revolvers. In 1962 when the PPC championship was taken over by the NRA that rule was relaxed and allowed the team to use 6" revolvers.

PTL Wilkins went to the factory in April 1961 order to complete armorer school. In that time frame, your final exam was the gun you built from scratch. If you choose to, you could purchase that revolver. It seems that this revolver was PTL Wilkins' take home gun.

It appears that the six revolvers listed on the invoice were made to be used by the Columbus Police Department's Shooting Team in the 1961 National Police Revolver Championship. It is possible that these guns were invoiced as Model 15's in order to get past the CPD purchasing department as duty weapons. I was told the department won both the individual and team 1st place trophies that year.

So while there is no documented proof, it appears that this gun along with it's 5 siblings was used in the 1961 National Police Revolver Championship.

PTL Wilkins went on to a long and distinguished career as a Patrol Sergeant for CPD, and a range officer/instructor for the Columbus Police Academy. He retired in the late 70's and passed on, in the 80's.

I have heard on the forum "buy the gun not the story" and I agree, but isn't it fun when the gun you buy has a story? This unique history all took place months before I was born in October of 1961. I feel blessed to have a unique gun with an interesting history that dates to my birth year.