View Single Post

Old 04-13-2009, 11:07 PM
Banned

Liked 8 Times in 5 Posts

Jack O'Connor lived up at Lewiston. I was a rifle HUNTER long before I was a LEO and got into handguns, Hence his writings were much more germain to me than manuy others.

The thing I enjoyed about O'Connor was he talked hunting and the guns used were just part of a whole. Yes, he liked the 270. He also was perfectly happy with the 7x57 and advocated it's use and it's what Elinore, his wife used.

I read hunting books. All this gun stuff is simply so I can shoot and hunt. Hence O'Connors stories of hunting Coues deer and sheep and were things I read because I figured I might actually some day do them, which I have.

He was still alive when I got out of the service and the several of the older ISP troopers stationed in Lewiston were shooting buddies. I got to go shoot a Rock Chuck or two a couple of times by tagging along and keeping my yap shut.

He's well worth reading. I think I have all of his books. I have to admitt never having read a single magazine article he ever wrote, or any of the rest of them until I was at least into my mid 20s. Gun/outdoor magazines aren't something your family spends money on if you live smack dab in the middle of the 4th largest county in the US.

RWT
The Following 2 Users Like Post: