View Single Post

Old 04-15-2009, 12:39 PM

Liked 39 Times in 6 Posts

In my early years I very much enjoyed Jack O'Connor's articles & took my first 6 elk with a 270 using 130 gr Hornady slugs. Later in life he wrote a article about sheep hunting in Mexico & explained that there were 2 ways to aquire a sheep tag, that was to spend a great deal of money & wait your turn or.....you could get one quite easy if you knew the RIGHT people...........(government) he stated that HE knew the right people & could always get a sheep tag, I never liked him after that!
In the early 70's I started stopping in at Elmer Keith's place to buy a book & visit for a few minutes, I did this several times over the next 6-7 years, my wife would go with me & visit with Lorraine & Elmer would take me out back to his trophy room, he only had 2 animals in the house, a sheep & a sable. In the trophy room out back was where he did his writing, etc. lots & lots of animals, some were very old skull mounts. He was always very polite & patient, I only wish I would have been able to shoot with him a few times.
Ross Seyfried wrote once that the best shot he ever knew with all 3 guns, rifle, handgun & shotgun was Elmer Keith. Pretty good endorsement!
This is one of the books I bought from Elmer.

This is his book Safari, it is very rare as only a few copies surivived a flood.

Dick
The Following 4 Users Like Post: