View Single Post

Old 03-09-2009, 06:16 AM

Liked 9 Times in 5 Posts

Thanks for the "go-ahead" here.
I did a bit of further research last night and did learn quite abit about this sort of wierd but very interesting piece that ios 38 spl mid range and national match. Only obvious distraction is that slide has a rather poor cold blue on one side, but has not been polished I don't think as all markings are unaffected as far as I can tell. Frame is easy 98% and gun has not been fired much at all.

What I know is that it is entirely colt work. I see one spring on barrel rear face that as I look it over allows barrel to move a bit back and return, but not like the link rotation of 45, etc-it has a rectangular fixed link I guess it would be that allows 1/4" or so horizontal cycle.
Gun is 38 spl mid range and so marked both on slide and with MR suffix on 4 digit serial #. Chamber has concentric grooves like threaded opposite way that an HK rifle is. this is to retard ejection I discover so that blowback action is not too fast - no barrel lock up but blowback like a 22- inner top of slide is non-grooved and barrel has no lugs. Just a really neat national match (so marked also on l side of slide). Smooth as silk in all ways.
Mag is special and marked - I am sure a tough one to get a match for.
I guess having it in hand allows me to see more than I thought I could.
Anyway, does anyone have any info on #s of these produced-I think years of 60s/70s.
I see vqarious posts regarding value of the gun, but very sporadic
A local collector has high interest level but I am in heavy as I saw it as a valuable uncommon colt even without knowing full story of it.
I am going to sell it to someone but want to know better about it. I am thinking of asking Colt to try to reblue slide only without polishing it as no pits othe rathan possibly one that I can only see with lenses.
Also, I see colt forum has responded now with what I hope is some useable instructions on how to re-register after several years of inactivity on their forum.
Sorry to over do here but any additional info and $ ranges welcome
Thanks-Smith Forum is the best!