View Single Post

Old 03-26-2009, 03:19 PM

Liked 330 Times in 166 Posts

I've spent the day on various forums, and this is talked about a lot. Seldom are there solutions offered. EGW makes a U die that is supposed to take care of the problem, but it is unavailable until Lee begins supplying them again. The problem is almost always described the same way, a bulge above the rim. Now if I pull a factory round and try it in the case gauge it will drop right in. And the unfired new round measures .378 near the mouth and .385 at the rim. There is a difference in mine that is noticeable. So I chucked my sizing die in my single stage Lee press with a shell holder in the bottom and I can get the size correct enough to fit the gauge but there is a noticeable bulge to the brass I may have to live with. If you look into the die through the bottom you can see how much it bells out, that is the part the is leaving the bulge. These rounds will not fully seat into the chamber of a new Glock 17 either. Going back over my reloaded round, there are some that will press fit into the gauge and require a pencil to push them out. New factory round look and fit perfectly. My bulge is about 3/16ths in width just above the rim. It seems that .003 is the difference in going or not going. I have been able to resize my reloaded rounds fully assembled with the decapping part removed. So I guess it's down to something I'm doing with the sizing die in the Dillon. And I guess 9 mm reloads will never look like new.