Thread: 357 Mags in Nam
View Single Post

Old 03-15-2009, 08:37 PM

Liked 20 Times in 13 Posts

Quote:
Originally posted by fyimo:
I guess I'll try this again as my post yesterday got sent to never never land for bad word choices.

Even though Vietnam was a very unpopular war there seems to be a large segment of the Vietnam aged male adult population who now want to claim that they were in the war and were combat soldiers. This is a well documented fact and the estimate is that there are 5 times as many people claiming to have served in country in Vietnam as actually did serve in country.

We run into this all the time in the VFW when people try to join. They tell us all these stories of where they served, when they served, and even the battles they were in and then when you ask them for their DD 214 they either say they lost it or it doesn't show them having been in country because they were black ops people.

Anyway, Just remember that 4 out of 5 people claiming to be Vietnam Veterans are in fact not. Those of us who actually served in Vietnam resent these posers and can usually spot them after a few minutes of conversation.

It's actually a sad and alarming number when you think of it.
Reminds me of the scene early in Trading Places when Eddie Murphy is scamming as a legless Viet Nam vet panhandler. The cops, who are Viet Nam vets, ask him what unit he served in and his answer is one of the funniest parts of the movie.