View Single Post

Old 03-31-2009, 03:45 PM

Liked 6,261 Times in 2,170 Posts

Its pretty obvious several things are happening with gun prices. First, commemorative guns usually sell for premium prices when new and purchased from the company. Just as often, the early buyers pay too much and the last few get real bargains. But they may not get the serial numbers they treasure, etc.

But then over a few years the prices drop even more. Worse, once a commemorative has been fired a few times, it becomes pretty undesirable to everyone. And there is no reason for that, its still a very good firearm. You can use that to your advantage. If you want a gun commonly sold as a commemorative, the cheapest way might be to find one, almost always unfired, and pay even less than the same gun in a box.

Sometimes the special edition guns even come with much nicer grips. Some Colts even came with ivory grips! No premium on that. Compared to a gun without gold wash, its a $500 option.

The BP M66 I bought might not have been my best purchase.. it surely isn't my worst. But I think the Randall knife is probably worth more than the gun, the opposite of the situation when I bought it, probably 10 years ago. The advantage of having a M66 is you can always take it out and shoot it 50,000 times, or even double that.