View Single Post

Old 03-01-2009, 04:04 PM

Liked 5,410 Times in 2,729 Posts

A couple of points about the post immediately above.
1. Just because a value is a pressure doesn't automatically mean it's "PSI". I don't have tables present, but until relatively recently, SAAMI pressure figure were in CUP or copper units of pressure. In fact, CUP is still the standard where that was the pressure first established for the cartridge. The piezo guages are calibrated against ammunition that produces acceptable CUP pressures.

2. The European CIL pressures are recorded at the case mouth. SAAMI pressures are recorded about mid cartridge. These differences can produce different pressure readings on identical cartridges regardless of units of pressure.

3. I'm not real sure off the top of my head what units of pressure Europe used in 1902. Since most euro countries had proof houses to test arms, there had to be some standard.

4. The "hot subgun ammo" idea started largely because of the different pressures the euro folks load their ammo at. The velocities produced by longer subgun barrels also boost the image.

Finally, check your owners manual. I don't believe there's a pistol of modern manufacture that cannot safely use SAAMI +P and/or NATO spec ammunition.
The Following User Likes This Post: