View Single Post

Old 03-26-2009, 07:04 AM

Liked 60 Times in 21 Posts

Quote:
Originally posted by sar4937:
So there is not a way to cure the problem with a specialized resizer like in the 40's? Is the brass just that flimsy?
Three factors that can affect "bulging" of the 9x18 case walls are:

1) The degree or lack of case support by the chamber near the case head. Some guns have more than others, and those with less support tend to produce bulged cases. This is common. Example: I have two Browning High Powers that have excellent case support and there's hardly a bulge. My SIG 226 routinely makes noticeably bulged cases. And for REAL variation in fired case dimensions, my S&W 76 submachine gun spits out 9x19 cases that range from "doesn't even look fired" to "how is THAT going to fit into the resizing die?" By far the WORST firearm in my battery for case bulging is an Uzi. It is consistent in that EVERY case is bulged, and the same way.

b) "Buckling" of the case walls if trying to do a roll crimp instead of a taper crimp. 9x19 should ALWAYS be taper crimped. This is somewhat uncommon, but some reloaders are unaware and try to roll crimp their reloads, even attempting to roll crimp into a non-cannelured bullet. This practice can buckle the case walls farther down the case, but it most usually results in creating a "ring" of larger diameter just below the crimp. This is uncommon with experienced reloaders.

iii) The third factor in play with the 9x19 is that it is a tapered case, whereas .40, 357 Mag, 38 Spl and 45ACP are essentially straight-walled. A tapered case requires complete full-length resizing to reduce the diameter of the case just above the web area above the extracting groove. This is the location of the common bulging resulting from lack of chamber support.

The first thing to check is to make sure that your resizing die is set properly and that you move the press handle through its full range of travel. If you haven't already done so, adjust your resizing die so that at full stoke of the press ram the bottom surface of the resizing die contacts the shell holder, thus ensuring tha the fired case is inserted into the resizing die as far as it can go. A call to Dillon cannot hurt; they have some top-notch experienced folks there.

One question -- Is your 9mm die set Dillon or from another mfr? If not Dillon, you may need to invest in a Dillon set for your 650 to make things happen the best they can.

With my 308 dies, I actually had to set the resizing die a little deeper and when working the ram of my Rock Chucker I actually push the handle through some resistance as the shell holder contacts the bottom of the die. I'm talking maybe 0.008" to 0.010" at most, but it made all the difference in resizing some 308 cases.

HTH,

Noah