View Single Post

Old 03-26-2009, 12:21 AM
SWCA Member

Liked 47 Times in 27 Posts

Flat based bullets sized to the same diameter of the cylinder throats with a nice soft lube will keep them from leading.

If I get bad leading from some factory loads or undersized lead bullets, I chuck a short length of cleaning rod in my electric drill. I wrap a BRONZE bore brush with coarse BRONZE wool (like others said, DON'T use steel wool, no matter how fine, or you will wreck your gun) so that it is tight in the cylinder or barrel. I coat the bronze wool wrapped bronze brush with JB Compound, then shove it into the bore or cylinder and hit the trigger of the drill. Work the wrapped brush back and forth in your barrel or cylinder while the drill is running. It only takes a five to ten second shot in each chamber of your cylinder, and a ten to fifteen second shot in your barrel to clean the whole nine yards. Use a tapered bore guide on your rod, because all you have to do is hit your chamber mouth or end of your barrel for a second with the cleaning rod and you'll mess up your barrel crown or chamber mouth.

This works REALLY well and is VERY fast, but you have to be VERY careful! It is the only thing that will clean lead out of the polygon rifling of a Glock (which is why they tell you not to use lead bullets in a Glock). If you wrap the bronze wool a bit thick after running the brush through your barrel this method cleans your forcing cone slicker than greased owl manure! This is the fastest and most certain way I know of cleaning lead out of a handgun.