View Single Post

Old 03-24-2009, 08:01 PM
US Veteran

Liked 2,270 Times in 285 Posts

How interesting this topic came up now.

We just buried a long time member of our hunting club, a Vietnam veteran. The night before he passed away I was at the hospital with another fine Vietnam veteran who is a very modest guy. He was also an Army recon guy in 'Nam. Later, he went in the Air Force and retired as an E-9.

As we made small talk I asked something I've wanted to ask him for eight years . . .

"Hey Dan, tell me about that NVA Captain I heard try to take your head off.".

Dan told me he'd had to shoot a lot of guys during missions with the M-16 and most went right down with one shot. The North Vietnamese captain was different though.

Dan emptied three 30 round "banana clips" and part of a fourth as the guy came at him.

He said the guy had to have been on powerful drugs. Most shots were center of chest and he said chunks of the man were flying off but he kept coming . . . finally even getting right to Dan. He only died after Dan had to slit his throat deeply with his knife.

The guy was shot to bits, yet stayed in the fight . . . truly a "dead man walking," but still extremely dangerous who advanced quite a ways to get to Dan's position.

Dan added that he still has the guy's handgun. Dan went through a lot over there, but is probably as fine and stable a man as I've ever met . . . and a heck of a hunter too!