View Single Post

Old 03-17-2009, 07:31 AM

Liked 12,731 Times in 2,419 Posts

I have a police trade in beater that has served me well. It is a High Standard "Riot 7."

I recently paid $60 at a gun show for an old JC Higgins 12 gauge pump. It is the same gun as the Model 20. Mine turned out to be a single shot. The action will eject the spent shell, but it will not pick up shells from the tube. My gun smith has it now, trying to find a part. I guess I'll pick it up and fool with it myself trying to make it work. If not, I guess $60 isn't too bad for a single shot 12 gauge.

I think you have a good idea about stocking up on the 12 gauge. Even 12 gauge #8 bird shot is pretty devastating out to about 15 yards. At bedroom ranges, it is as lethal as a 10 megaton bomb. I started buying 12 gauge ammo eight or ten years back. I don't shoot a whole lot of 12, and I would just usually buy four boxes if I thought I would need two for a dove shoot. If I saw some of the promo loads at wally world in late August, I would pick up a case. I got to checking a couple of weeks back and found 12s squirreled away in a half-dozen different places.