View Single Post

Old 03-04-2009, 09:21 AM

Many moons ago I happened to be on vacation in the Lewiston ID area and The Bride and I stopped by the CCI plant that is located there. We the the "Fifty Cent Tour" as apposed to the 'Nickel Tour'. I was a FFL holder and working Deputy Sheriff at the time and that may have had something to do with it but I'm guessing it had more to do with the fact that The Bride knew what an primer "anvil" was when the Gentleman was first talking to us in his Office.

His name was Elmer Imathern(sp?) and he had just finished authoring/editing the latest edition of their Speer Reloading Manual. His statement to us was pretty much to the effect that switching this primer for that primer isn't a real good idea. He further stated that if you change from Standard to Magnum or from Pistol to Rifle you should back off your load by 10% or by 20% if you are already at the Maximum and work up from there. Since those days I have heeded his advise and I began to see pressure signs much faster when I made one of these changes. In other words I found that it was pretty much of a PITA and the loads I was able to obtain didn't prove to be worth all the effort.