View Single Post

Old 03-18-2009, 02:31 PM

Liked 307 Times in 110 Posts

Armalite AR-10T, a bit of a beast of a gun but more accurate with decent ammo than any FAL, 91, or M1A that I've ever encountered. I love the M1A but they don't maintain accuracy over the long haul without a fair bit of maintenance. The ARs, OTOH, just need a good floated barrel and they shoot great all day long.

Recent acquisition was a Remington 700 VTR in 308. Limited experience with it thusfar, but all I can say at this point is WOW! Light weight, compact, and superbly accurate, costs about half of what a basic AR does, and is much easier to carry in the field. The AR-10T is a hefty thing and there are more compact versions, but they probably won't shoot as well. If I were just starting off in the 308 shooting game right now, I think I'd personally forget the SUR concept and go with the modern bolt-gun......much as I love semi-autos. Unless you plan to use the gun for 3-gun or "heavy-metal" competition, a bolt will not only serve you well but will probably out-shoot 99% of semis out there from a pure accuracy standpoint. Plus they are one hell of a lot easier to clean and maintain.