View Single Post

Old 05-21-2007, 08:38 PM
Banned

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmcgilvray View Post
Apparently this one was made in late 1950 or early 1951 but shipped to Oshman's Hardware Store in Houston, Texas in March of 1952 according to the S&W factory letter. The revolver's serial No. is 2018. It possesses all the early features: flat latch, half-moon front sight, 5 screws, small trigger guard, pre-war style hammer spur. The grip panels are a little shorter than the later J-Frame grips. Some call this frame size the modified I-Frame. I guess if it wasn't wearing its original grips then one would have to find a pair of grips off of a Terrier in order to obtain correct fit. It does have a coil main spring. It's no oil painting condition-wise but it's a good shooter and very accurate except when I toss the occasional flier. I got it at a Fort Worth Convention Center gun show in the early '80's. It was priced less than the later Chief's Specials at the show that had ramp sights and traditional latches. The seller considered it less desirable because of the half-moon front sight. I thought it was novel so snapped it right up.
Can't answer your questions, but thanks for posting the pictures.

That gun is really nice looking.

I like it almost as much as my pre-Model 10, which shipped on March 14, 1949 . . . I love typing that.

The two look very similar, but I prefer the six-shot cylinder on mine.
But I'd buy yours in heart beat if I ever found an affordable one.

This one isn't my (or my picture!), but mine looks similar to this:

p.s. to whomever originally posted that picture: Thanks (I'll take it down if it is yours and you object.)
In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. Section 107, any copyrighted work in this message is distributed under fair use without profit or payment for non-profit research and educational purposes only.
[Ref. http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtml ]