View Single Post

Old 12-31-2008, 12:10 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Like many others who have posted to this thread, I, too, started out with a wheelgun--an M19. We trained differently then. IMHO, we paid more attention to our human limitations then, and we did not delude ourselves into believing that new/better/more equipment would compensate for our inherently human shortcomings. "Technique trumped technology." For me, revolvers are the bolt action rifles of handguns.

I revere the venerable 1911, but an old workhorse .38 Spl. stoked with +p LSWCHPs exudes a certain confidence-inspiring comfort.

Versatility and reliability? German "Perfection" is for me my black plastic and ubercoated steel 9mm that I really want to like but absolutely refuses to run on the creampuffy UMC range ammo my local shootery mandates. Not so of any of my revolvers. Anemic .38 Spl. TMJ range ammo, shot loads, and wadcutters; .38 Spl. +p JHP carry rounds; screaming belchfire .357 Magnums: all can be mixed and matched in any order in any of my .357 Mag. revolvers. Pull the trigger and the gun goes bang as many times as there are live rounds in the cylinder. Brilliant.

It takes me longer to clean the smallest of my simplest revolvers than it does to clean the most complicated of my largest semi-autos--always.

For some, the revolvers "limited magazine capacity" is a deal breaker, and I can understand why. Even when I do my best, I still can print only a single pair of clover leafs per cylinder on the target before I have to swap the six empties for six loaded rounds. Bummer.

There are far worse things in life. YMMV