View Single Post

Old 06-21-2008, 03:28 PM
SWCA Member

Liked 4,495 Times in 1,516 Posts

One comment about the LE 4006's. The one I obtained turned out to be the 4006CHP version which has a drawbar without the trigger play spring. The hammer is also bobbed so it is DAO.

Without that spring, the initial trigger pull felt rather rough and sloppy to me. I could feel the "hooks" on the draw bar that engage pivot points on the rear of the trigger, slipping into place with a distinct "click" as the trigger was initally being pulled rearward. With the trigger play spring employed, those two components are held in place and there is no "wandering".

A call to S&W customer service resulted in getting 2 trigger play springs and rivets sent to me at no charge, and I'm much happier with the triger pull now. It's on par with my other 3rd gen semi-auto.

I've since learned that I either lucked out with it being an earlier version of the 4006CHP or was lucky in being able to install the spring & rivet, as the 4006CHP drawbar is supposedly made with an oversized rivet hole so a spring can't be installed, and needs to be replaced with a cilvian model drawbar in order to have a trigger play spring... go figure.

Also +1 on the AGI video. There are people that knock them for their gun cleaning content, but you really learn how the lockwork of a S&W semi-auto works AND it is what tipped me off that the trigger play spring was missing and what it's function was. That prompted me to make the call to S&W customer service and subsequently finding out it was deliberately made without one.
SWCA #1830 SWHF #222