View Single Post

Old 09-01-2008, 01:42 AM
Banned

Liked 1,569 Times in 421 Posts

Bob & John;
Yes, I do have a custom Colt New Service 1905 similar to the "Ganio Special" depicted in Handgunners Guide. I've remarked in other threads concerning it's pedigree, but suffice to say that mine is not a 1917 and is chambered in .45 Colt. The butt has been reduced to the Colt Official Police frame size (.41 frame) has a 2 1/2 inch barrel with ramp front sight, bobbed hammer, cross hatched cylinder release and custom action with a DA trigger pull of 4 lbs. The Audley is marked however for a 3 inch barrel John, so I think it was intended for a S&W 1917 or Colt 1917 in that barrel length. It has been engraved with the "Chic Gaylord New York" lightning bolt logo and the "Bell Charter Oak" logo. The grips are Sambar Stag and were a gift from Chic, along with the grip adapter, a floral carved Berns Martin rig and a spare ammo dump pouch he crafted. When Chic presented the dump pouch to me, it was accompanied by a box of 50 rounds of .45 LC handloaded by Elmer Keith, who was also very fond of that particular cartridge. Chic's only criticism of this revolver was the bobbed hammer, which he was well known to refer to as a "mutilation". We shared different opinions in that single respect. The revolver has been reblued twice since it was completed, owing to significant holster wear. The features were the culmination of work by Chic, and no less than three prominent east coast gunsmiths to reach it's final configuration. The late, George Hyde, a Black Forest trained gunsmith and inventor of the grease gun. Bob Freilich, dean of Colt gunsmiths. Bryan Burgin, noted pistolsmith and perhaps better known for his outstanding restoration work of H&H double rifles, Rigby's and Winchester's. This revolver is extremely accurate and fast to fire. It's combined cost was appreciable, but worth every nickel to me. It's the revolver I'd grab first if I found myself in harms way.

I used to carry this piece pretty regularly, but now less often. During the summer, if necessary, I use an IWB that I tooled quite awhile ago.
It is very comfortable and conceals this rather robust revolver very well.

As I have lamented previously, Chic was a leading proponent of the development of these type of arms. Although he was very well connected to S&W and Colt, neither company could be persuaded at that time, to produce a large frame and caliber with a short barrel despite his urging. They claimed such a monstrosity was not ever going to become commercially successful. Just look at the number of short barrel powerhouses S&W and Taurus are offering today. It seems that my friend has been vindicated by time! Given Colt's decades of malaise, it's no wonder why that lack of innovation contributed to their crapping out.

Edited to add Photos....Enjoy!