View Single Post

Old 06-20-2008, 05:08 PM
US Veteran

Liked 797 Times in 282 Posts

WR Moore wrote:
Quote:
SUPPORT THE SIDEPLATE ASSEMBLY WITH THE THUMB OF YOUR SUPPORT HAND WHILE INSTALLING THE GRIPS!
Excellent point! I did not take on reassembly instructions in my earlier post.

Interestingly, I did that exact thing the first time I installed a grip on a 3rd generation, my 4566. The fingers of the sideplate assembly had apparently been weakened earlier, probably when the previous owner changed to a curved grip. I wanted to put in back in original configuration, so I was installing a brand new straight grip when I learned about your advice the hard way, but it really needed a new sideplate anyway.

That incident was before I viewed the AIG video. I really do highly recommend it. I have now disassembled, cleaned, lubicated, changed parts on an as needed basis, and reassembled each of my 13 S&W 3rd generation pistols without a hitch.

In fact, based on knowledge gained from the AIG video and searching and studying posts on the S&W-Smithing forum on this website, I have also replaced three triggher play springs. It seems some previous owners had been a little rough while cleaning around the little trigger play spring. It's not the easiest repair to do, but it ain't bad once you do it a couple of times. Yep, knowledge and practice are great things.