View Single Post

Old 03-30-2008, 06:05 AM

Liked 321 Times in 151 Posts

My everyday, everywhere carry is a .32 auto that rides in my front jeans pocket without printing. Since most of the year here where I live it is too hot for a covering garment and I can't do the sloppy untucked shirt mode of dress, the auto better fits my needs. While a .32 auto isn't the best stopper in the world, I don't know anyone who really wants to look at the business end of same.

My new truck gun is a M64. Why? It won't rust. I don't have to worry about magazine springs taking a set. It is always going to be ready to run. If it gets stolen, I won't be happy but I lost $300, not a bunch of money and not something that I had much of an emotional attachment to. If I had been able to pick up a M65 that cheap, I would have preferred the .357 over the .38 but either one is going to do the trick if I do my part.

Out in the boonies when I am stumping around, I carry a wheel gun ocasionally in .357 but usually in .44 or .45. If I have to shoot a feral hog (have to have a batch of pork chops) I prefer something with enough whoop to do the job. While a .45 auto will do so at close range and I assume a .40S&W would also, why?

Finally, a roundbutt S&W with a set of wood hogue (no finger groove) stocks just feels right in my hand. This is especially true in the N frame guns. While I do own autos and shoot them on a regular basis, S&W just feels better. By the same token, there is also a cool factor. I don't care how nice it is or how expensive, a 1911 is well, a 1911. I like them and own several but a 1911 compared to a M624 is akin to a cute lady standing next to my beautiful wife who I love and care for dearly. You get the picture.

Jim