View Single Post

Old 07-30-2008, 02:54 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Thanks, gentlemen, for the comments. I have recently begun to use this 622 again to teach my 11-year-old son the basics of shooting and safety. I've used this pistol and a Ruger Single Six revolver. He likes both pistols, but the 622 is quickly becoming his favorite.

As many of you know from owning different brands of the same caliber, it's hard not to be constantly comparing and contrasting. For example, my Browning .22 auto is more consistently accurate than the 622, but the Browning is super-finicky about the ammo it will cycle -- picky to the point of being very frustrating at times. The 622, on the other hand, is a bit less accurate, but it will cycle any and all ammo flawlessly. Truly I can say that it's hard to recall any jams or malfunctions with the 622 with Federal, Remington, CCI, or other sundry brands.

A big advantage is this: the 622 is also easier to take down and reassemble for cleaning than either my Browning or Ruger autos.

Everyone who shoots a 622 comments on how radically different the grip angle is from the more tilted, more diagonal angles of Browning and Ruger .22 autos. This is true, and you definitely have to get used to the unique grip angle.

In 1989 when I was ready to buy a .22 auto, I wanted a Ruger Mark II. I would have never known about the S&W 622 except that all the gun stores around Muscle Shoals, Alabama, where I was living at the time were sold out of Rugers and were having trouble getting more back in stock (this was long before GunBroker and Auction Arms). A local policeman who was a lifelong fan of S&W pistols told me that the 622 was a good gun and well worth the money. I took a chance on it, and I'm glad I did.