View Single Post

Old 12-30-2007, 07:05 AM
US Veteran
Absent Comrade

Liked 16,154 Times in 7,408 Posts

The Colt Official Police (and its earlier version, the Army Special) were probably the overwhelming choice, but some S&W's and military surplus .45 revolvers saw some use, too, especially in the Border Patrol and the US Postal Service. Park Rangers also used some M-1917's.

I used to read those books by C.B. Colby about various cop shops, and these were the overwhelming choices.

I have also read books on the various agencies, confirming this info.

After the early 1960's, S&W began to dominate the game. Colts just had too many cylinder timing issues, and S&W often had a price advantage, and the guns had actions that many preferred.

This is the easiest to answer of all those impossible "which cops used what" questions. Usually, there is too much variance to give simple answers. This time was an exception.

I know that it isn't all-inclusive, but will cover most of what you asked.

Some Detective Specials and snub S&W's were used for plainclothes and backup needs. (The S&W Bodyguard was developed to meet the needs of an unspecified US Agency. However it appeared a few years after your time frame.)

The .357 magnum was popular with the FBI for years, but most revolvers they issued were still .38's.

Keep in mind that in those days, personal guns were common, too. Not everyone carried the official issue piece.

T-Star
The Following User Likes This Post: