View Single Post

Old 12-21-2008, 08:54 PM

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

I came back to revolvers after 20 years.

I was raised on rifles, and handguns were considered to be last-ditch, close range guns. Little credit was given to accuracy. Though I did train with revolvers, the two specimens I used were a Nagant and (IIRC) a H&R.

So, when I started carrying a gun as an adult, I went straight to automatics. I perceived revolvers as being inaccurate and having terrible triggers. To be fair, I'd also drunk the Kool-Aid about capacity. I got pretty good with automatics, and I still own a few.

Then I started noticing something. Most of the shooters who really impressed me were shooting revolvers. After talking to a few (and being directed to read Elmer Keith), I picked up a well-worn Model 15 for a pittance.

My first group out of that gun easily matched anything I'd ever done out of an automatic. I learned what a difference a good DA trigger makes.

I've never been a "fast" shooter in the sense people perceive it these days, but for speed work, I find I'm more in control with a wheelgun, and I find that nothing points as naturally for me as a K-Frame. It's easier to acquire multiple targets in succession.

Then there's the issue of reliability, along with the fact that I don't have to worry if a given loading will cycle. All said, I just feel more confident with a revolver than I do with an auto these days. Though I sometimes carry an automatic when I'm feeling randy, I still stick with revolvers most of the time.