View Single Post

Old 02-15-2008, 07:36 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

The best thing that came out of the 10mm program were the testing protocols that are now being used. Unless you are the one who as to shoot all the rounds until the blood can not flow from your hands anymore.

The hope was that the lower velocity round was going to answer the mail for the handgun need and that a high velocity (like the original Norma load) would be developed for the MP5/10. This never happened. I had several 1076s and was very pleased. I never had a malfuncion of any kind except during the testing when we were attempting to figure out why they were malfuncioning. I a certain that there were various problems. The miles of high speed film that was shot proves it. However, it was mind numbing to track down each malady and remidy it.. S&W bent over backwards to try and figure it out too. I still think the three biggest problems were agents that did not want the "boat anchor" and invented problems, the fact that you had to put some effort into shooting it (not a gun for limp wrists), and three that very straight walls of the case - it just does not lend itself to feeding like a 9mm Para.

Lots of modifications and tricks were used to get them reliable. The final deathblow was the inability for agents in the field to clean out the firing pin hole. As such, grime and powder would build up and prevent the pin from making contact with the primer. Ironic now that agents can strip the pin from their 1911s.

It was an ok gun for a double action (unforgiving- those that could shoot- liked them- those that could not hated them), and an even better round. It all started for the BU with a personally owned Delta Elite 10mm that was thrown into the testing for fun. Ironic since the best pistols the BU has ever issued are the colt .38 Supers and Springfield .45s.