View Single Post

Old 07-10-2008, 08:46 PM

Liked 9,149 Times in 3,379 Posts

Quote:
Originally posted by deadin:
Quote:
Nimschke signed near every piece he did.
That's just the opposite of what I have heard.
What's your source?
I seem to remember reading in the "L.D. Nimschke, Firearms Engraver" that he only signed "special" jobs. At least, I think that's the book title. It is the book with all of his "pulls" or patterns in it. Practically impossible to get these days. I had to borrow one in inter-library loan from Victoria, TX a number of years ago.
>
Yes I have that book from way back when it was $17.95. I thought it was awfully expensive then but bit the bullet and bought it anyway. There are 95 pieces in that book that are signed by LDN. Those are only on firearms as there are pages of engraving pulls from other jobs like jewelry, presentation plaques, etc. that are not signed of course plus many duplicate patterns with only a change to the center design or a banner, etc. There are also 20 firearms (unsigned)in that book that are noted by LDN with an 'X' next to the pull to show that they are the work of another engraver other than himself.(we're always looking for ideas!). That is a fact not taken into consideration by those taking a tally of engraved firearms in that book.
The author of the book, one Larry Wilson, made a comment in there that LDN very rarely signed handgun engraving, yet there are many pistols in a list in the back that are signed. Mr Wilson was never shy in helping to set up a legacy based on his own ideas if he could benefit and profit from it later on. He happened to own a few LDN engraved pieces including some Colt Percussion revolvers that were purchased from the Wadsworth Antheneum Collection as unworthy for display so no longer needed by the establishment. He happened to be the Colt Museum Curator at the time IIRC.
LDN worked as an engraver for about 50yrs. What is shown in that book is said to be about 10% of his total work. Who decided that number? I guess it'd be Larry again. That makes for just the right amount of LDN work out there to keep the price high but still enough to discover a nice piece every so often. Usually to the delight and profit of the same group of names, none of which ever seem to be an engraver themselves. Why are gun engraving experts never gun engravers?
Believe me, there is only so much engraving a person, even the most prolific worker, can turn out in a lifetime career of 50yrs AND be of top quality. Some can do fantastic amounts compared to others but there is still a limit on the human hands, eyes and mind. Many employed contract engravers to cut their patterns on lesser jobs and did not sign them because of that fact. I don't recall if anything was ever written that LDN had apprentices/journeyman engravers or not working with him. I would guess not just reading about the man but that is only a guess on my part.
I just cannot take much stock in the claims of most of the self proclaimed experts in this field in that they themselves have no experience in it. They for the most part make statements that show a lack of basic knowledge that would come from hands on involvement. Generalizing about the beauty or lack of, layout, style, etc can be done by anyone with sight and is in itself ones opinion. Getting into who actually cut a piece 100+yrs ago based on looking closely at chisel marks or a punch dot is an inexact science on the very best of days. It does not however take away any research or historical knowledge they may discover and bring to light. That is how that pattern book came to be saved in the first place.
>
BTW there was a reprint of that book out a few years back. That may be still available somewhere..
The Following User Likes This Post: