View Single Post

Old 03-24-2008, 01:46 PM

Liked 241 Times in 21 Posts

I too prefer the simplicy and reliability. Some additional reasons I strongly prefer revolvers:

1) A revolver is easier for me to deal with for day to day use. It is easy to load and unload. No need to worry about the slide of an auto perhaps pushing the bullet of the first cartridge back into the case. Easy to see at a glance that a revolver is loaded.

2) I shoot revolvers for fun and competition. Since 99% of the time at the range I'm shooting a S&W revolver, it just makes sense--at least for me--to also carry a S&W revolver and have one in my nightstand. Probably a mistake to switch to another platform when I use a particular one so much.

3) A revolver encourages dry-firing. I'm an old Bullseye shooter and a huge believer in lots and lots of dry firing. The SA trigger on a good revolver is such a joy in itself that it encourages you to dry fire the thing. And with a revolver, you can practice multiple shots or rapid fire by working the DA trigger. Hard to do that with an auto. But with a revolver, if you have ten spare minutes and a safe backstop, well.....dump the cartridges and do a bit of dryfiring!

4) The shape of a revolver, with its complex curves, just suits me better. A concealed revolver held next to my skin doesn't dig in and irritate me the way a boxy auto does. And revolvers tend to fit my hand much better, and therefore "point" much better.

5) I reload. I like having 100% of my brass go straight into a coffee can for the trip back to the reloading bench.

6) Accuracy. Sure, a .22 auto can be plenty accurate, and a target grade centerfire auto can also be accurate (at the expense of tight tolerances). But in my opinion, there is nothing quite like a good revolver for its combination of stone reliability and superb accuracy.