View Single Post

Old 12-22-2007, 01:32 PM

Liked 63 Times in 5 Posts

I contacted Charlie Pate, author of one of the Man of Arms articles and the outstanding book "US Handguns of WWII" He is about as expert as you can get. Here's what he said:

"Mr. Cadet, your message on the above subject was forwarded to me. I'm sorry to say I cannot add to what was published in my article (1999 issue of Man At Arms) and, more importantly, that of Dick Johnson (February 2000 issue). As noted in my book and further discussed in Dick's article, the Springfield Armory did "clean & repair" many S&W and Colt M1917 revolvers after World War I and it is quite possible that those in this series of posts are some of those re-worked there. But to my knowledge there is no way to really document this. As noted in one comment, the post WW II rebuilds were typically parkerized rather than being reblued and I don't see why those done by Springfield before WW II were not as well, but, again, it is possible that Springfield used a blue finish. Arms rebuilt after WW II also had an identifying mark to show where the rebuild work was done but I'm not aware of that being done before WW II. I doubt there was a reason to add this mark since Springfield was the only facility I know of rebuilding revolvers then. I am confident that if the pistols were refinished by S&W the hammers and triggers would not have been finished in blue and adding additional numbers was not done by the factory in any of their post war rebuild work for the Army that I have seen."