View Single Post

Old 01-14-2009, 06:13 AM

Liked 6,261 Times in 2,170 Posts

CLP isn't a product, its a performance spec. Breakfree CLP is a product which is supposed to meet or exceed that specification. If you find military CLP, it may be any one of several different formula, each with at least the necessary performance. I'm going to guess that for the commercial product, no performance tests are run. Doesn't make it a bad product, or a good one.

CLP Collectors tends to dry out and leave a wax like residue. They say...you can just go ahead and use the gun without cleaning it off. They say.... a lot of things.... in advertising puffery. There is a little plastic bottle of the Collectors stuff on my work bench. I use it when I've got a gun going into deep hibernation. I slather way too much no the gun, then smear it around with a small camel hair brush (I think the camels are really tree rats.) Using a soft brush allows you to force the excess into all of the hard to get places like barrel/frame joints, etc. And on engraved guns, it does a great job of filling the cuts.

The gun doesn't look as nice because the thick stuff tends to blur sharp lines, but it does protect them, too.

I have no idea how Collectors compares with cosmoline. It'd be hard to beat the protection qualities. But with Cosmoline, you've got to degrease the gun for it to work safely.

All of this may be overkill. I've got a couple... of prewar guns which appear to be brand new. For the first 50 years or so of their lives no wonder lube or preservative existed. They somehow remained rust free using nothing but whatever oil the earlier owners could find. 3 in 1, sewing machine oil, motor oil, maybe even bacon grease, who knows. I really don't think the prior owners took them out every few months and re-oiled them. I'm guessing the magic of desk/dresser drawers or top shelves in closets did the trick.