View Single Post

Old 12-26-2008, 11:49 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I am not really a gun person but I was fortunate enough to recently inherit a revolver that was once my great-grandfathers. This is what I know about the gun and a brief history. I first saw the gun several years ago when my grandfather possessed it. He relayed to me that it was his fathers and that he had bought it for very cheap from a gentleman that did not like it because it was dangerous to own due to the fact that it was too bright and would shine too brightly when the lights went out in the middle of a bar fight. My great-grandfather died in 1923. I am not sure when he passed it on to my grandfather.

The markings on the gun are as follows: On the butt, the inside of the cylinder, and on the underside of the barrel it is marked with 181XXX. From my little research I have done on this site I am guessing that this is the serial number. It is also marked with 7357 on both the cylinder arm and also on the inside of the frame next to where the cylinder closes. On the left side of the gun it is marked with “38 S. & W. SPECIAL CTG”. On the right side is says “SMITH & WESSON SPRINGFIELD MASS. U.S.A PATT’D MARCH. 27. 94. MAY. 21. 95. AUG. 4. 96. DEC 22. 96. OCT.8. 01. DEC. 17. 01 FEB. 6. 06. SEPT. 14. 09.”. It also has what looks like a Smith and Wesson logo that has “Trade Mark” over the top and bottom of the logo.

I was wondering what approximate year the gun was produced, what model number it may be, and what If any value it may have? Also was it likely that the gun was produced as is or has it been modified? As you can tell it seems to be in great condition. I do not think that my grandfather has ever fired the gun and I believe it has been in his possession for a long time, most likely 70-80 years.
Any info would be helpful. I know that after a few generations within a family a story can be forgotten or changed, so I am curious as to whether the facts surrounding this gun will support our family’s version of its history.

Thanks in advance for you help.