View Single Post

Old 11-14-2007, 08:59 AM
Administrator

Liked 48,746 Times in 9,253 Posts

Quote:
p/s is there any way to find out who did the conversion as in the book S&W did do some of the conversions ?
In Neal & Jinks (Revised Ed.), the authors speculate that that some of the 44 First Models which were converted to 455 and then sold commercially to Shapleigh were converted to 45 Colt (45 LONG Colt) before shipment (page 203). Lately, Roy has implied "maybe not"- that 455 ammo WAS available, and the guns may have shipped in 455. We could speculate that Shapleigh may have converted some, and/or may have sold some in 455. Still, Neal & Jinks states that the conversion was offered by S&W and private gunsmiths on 1st and 2nd Model 455's (pgs 215 and 216). However, a factory conversion begs the question of why I have never seen a gun that is NOT refinished, but is in 45 Colt cal, with a star or frame date to indicate FACTORY conversion. In other words, IF the factory converted a gun, would they not mark it to indicate major service? Would they not also have marked the barrel with the caliber? I have never seen one with what I thought had a FACTORY marking for the 45 Colt caliber after being converted.
With that data having been published in Neal & Jinks, Jim and Rick HAD to carry it over into the SCSW. It IS logical to believe that S&W DID convert some guns to 45 LC, but I have never seen one that convinced me S&W had done it. If they did some, I wonder which method they chose?

The 455 has a rim which is THINNER than the 45 Colt, so there are at least 4 ways to accomplish the conversion:
1. Simply rechamber the cyl for the LC, with slightly recessed cartridge rims.
2. Rechamber for LC, and face off the rear of the cyl to provide rim clearance. In other words, remove metal from the rear of the cyl to shorten it and provide rim clearance.
3. Rechamber for LC, and file or grind the recoil shield behind the cyl to provide rim clearance.
4. Combine 2 and 3 above- Rechamber for LC, and face off BOTH the cyl and recoil shield to a lesser degree to provide rim clearance.
Of the 4 methods, I believe S&W would have used the first because it is easiest, quickest, and CLEANEST- that is, it leaves no metal in the white on EXTERIOR surfaces.

Now, if you reread SCSW carefully, it does not really say S&W did conversions to 45 Auto Rim and 45 ACP. Neal & Jinks does not mention such conversions. SCSW merely wants the reader to know he will encounter many converted guns. I have seen many converted, often rather crudely. Cylinders and extractors faced off a large amount for moon clip clearance, and/or recoil shields ground away. I do NOT believe S&W did any of them.

So, to finally answer your question- NO, there is no way to find out who converted it, unless the artist signed his work. Without a factory letter statng they converted it to 45 Auto Rim, I will never believe they did it.