Thread: CHP 4006
View Single Post

Old 03-29-2008, 12:26 PM

Liked 6,617 Times in 2,199 Posts

The no trigger return spring part?

I was a little surprised when I first learned the trigger return springs had been removed from their older 4006's myself.
I learned about if from a friend of mine who was a CHP weapons officer.

He said that some years ago the CHP gunsmiths in Sacramento apparently decided they no longer wanted to take guns out-of-service just to replace the trigger return springs when they broke. The guns would function fine without them, although the triggers would no longer be held firmly stationary to the rearmost position when cocked in single action mode. This wasn't considered any big deal, since most shooters would never notice it when shooting the guns, anyway.

Besides, the CHP guns were ordered with spurless hammers in the first place to discourage the officers from attempting to thumb-cock the guns into SA mode for their initial shot. (Cocking revolvers had resulted in some negligent shootings in the LE field when revolvers were still is widespread use, you know.)

He went on to say that back when the decision was made to do away with the trigger play springs in the earlier 4006's that they went all around the state removing the trigger play springs from the drawbars and drilling out the drawbar rivet holes so the springs couldn't be installed any more.

So, it seems they're simply ordering the guns without them in the first place nowadays.