View Single Post

Old 04-24-2008, 10:47 AM
SWCA Member

Liked 22,559 Times in 5,844 Posts

Hundreds? It has to be more into the thousands. Not only were there commemoratives that S&W produced, but there were many organizations that bought a block of firearms had had the commemorative designed outside of S&W.

As to value? Outside of those that participated in what is being commemorated or those that admire what is being commemorated it is just a revolver with extra markings.

Sometimes commemorative embellishments can be as simple as a roll mark on the barrel, a logo on the side plate and a wood case. Sometimes the logos and roll marks are gold washed, sometimes they are left unfilled.

Then you have some with a little extra. Perhaps a small gold inlay or a badge/buckle included in the commemorative.

Then you get to the more serious embellishments like hand engraving. Sometimes it is class D coverage sometimes it is full coverage.

The more heavily embellished commemoratives do command a premium over the price of a like model revolver. However the cost is usually attributed to the embellishment and not to the event commemorated.

This is not just limited to LEO commemoratives (even though I kept the images focused on that category). S&W has commemorated many other things as well. We are also not limited to S&W as other firearms have been used to commemorate both LEOs and events.

Obviously, I like them. Several are always on display in my office and I like to switch them out every now and then. At the moment the Deluxe Texas Ranger Model 19 has been put away and my SIG P239 USSS pistol is on the corner of the desk.