View Single Post

Old 05-14-2008, 06:44 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I was a LEO for 34 years and carried both revolvers and autos. Both are good choiced for
personal protection but both require regular practice to be reliable tools in an emergency self protectiob role. I prefer the revolver as I find it easier to carry concealed and with 5 or 6 rounds is more than adequate for the normal
self protection encounter. I prefer the revolver
for the following reasons:

1- Used them for most of my career and feel very comfortable with them. They are in my opinion more reliable than an autoloader.

2- I find the revolver easier to conceal and more comfortable to wear.

3- Revolvers are fine with ammo changes and will generally not fail to operate with different types of ammo.

4- Reloading for a revolver is in my opinion easier than for an autoloader and bullet choices are better as well.

5- Revolvers are easy to make changes to such as grip changes which can greatly alter the gun
to different uses such as concealability or ability to handle magnum loads.

6- Reloads are in my opinion easier to carry concealed and can be carried loose or in speed loaders or speed strips.

7- Revolvers lend themselves to practice in dry firing which will not compare to an autoloader.

8- Revolvers are nostalgic, they have been around since the early 1800's and have proven themselves over and over in every type of environment and conflict and in every type of application, even in taking big dangerous game.