View Single Post

Old 05-18-2008, 06:44 AM
Banned

Liked 1,569 Times in 421 Posts

Quote:
Originally posted by canoeguy:
.38 S&W is a fun cartridge to reload and plink with, but I wouldn't rely on it for self defence.
Sorry, but I disagree. Folks rely upon all sorts of cartridges (and weapons) for self defense, for many different reasons. Many of them admittedly are not ideal man stoppers such as the .45 ACP, 10mm, .45 Colt, .44 Mag or Special and the .357 Mag but, there are other considerations. I have, and I would not hesitate again to use a .38 S&W for self defense.

Today, in the advent of so many states issuing CCW permits we might conclude more folks are carrying than perhaps ever before. Modern ammunition and relatively modern arms do indeed offer a better choice for self defense. But at the same time, I wouldn't overlook less contemporary guns or ammunition. There is a practical side to carrying a handgun. The social or business circumstances, the wardrobe, the climate and other factors which may preclude one from carrying a large, high capacity weapon that might be ideal for self defense. Smaller guns and cartridges fill that niche well. No they may not be ideal man stoppers, but it beats being the "runner up". Personally, I have attended many post mortem examinations where the decedant's had been shot. I assure you that of those, many of the victims were killed with small caliber bullets, much smaller than the .38 S&W. Most were not head wounds either, but wounds to the torso. Many of these were .22 LR, .25ACP and .32's of different varieties. For what it's worth.