View Single Post

Old 12-21-2008, 09:11 AM

Liked 8 Times in 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally posted by george minze:
Dose any body know the difference between the Walther P99 and Smith SW990. What is the difference? or is their any. What would make one more desirable than the other? Are they both made in Germany or both in America...... thanks
JMOfartO:

The Walther P99/AS and the SW99 are basically the same pistol (pretty much TDA w/anti-stress action too, which is long pull, SA..@ 4.4lbs), with the exception that the Smiths have a barrel and slide made in the U.S. (The P99 is 100% German made.)

Walther fans are of the opinion that the all German made P99 is the best, S&W fans don't necessarily agree, and as mentioned earlier, with the exception of the slide and barrel, the SW99, more than less, IS a P99..

Same with the SW990 as to all German manufactured, or partially German manufactured.

I had the P99/AS and my Buddy has the SW99 and in our experiences both do the same job equally well but the S&W comes with a lifetime warranty to the original owner whereas the Walther has a one year warranty. (Also warranted by S&W, as S&W is the IMPORTER of the P99's (& PPS).

The SW990, to my understanding, started out as an SW99 reconfigured to a DAO platform and from the posts on various firearm forums never gained popularity, and was basically the "red headed step-child of the P99/SW99/SW990 family.

I've read, more than once, where S&W screwed with the fine SW99 to try and make it more "politically correct" and therefore appeal to more LEO agencies, but in the process threw the baby out with the dishwater. Or, they "tinkered" with it until they screwed it up and then couldn't give them away.

I think a quick "google" search, or even using the search/find option on any of the gun forums will get you plenty of input for any questions you might have.

From the little I know I'd say if you are interested in the P99/SW99/SW990 pistol the SW990 would be my last choice of the three.

If I wanted another plastic gun I'd buy a SW99 in a heartbeat, I wouldn't buy an SW990. CDNN is selling the SW99 quite reasonably now, you might consider checking them out.

Just personal opinion, others might disagree.

Best Wishes,

Jesse