View Single Post

Old 01-09-2009, 09:04 PM
US Veteran

Liked 2,270 Times in 285 Posts

Quote:
Originally posted by Shellback:
How do you adjust the front sight of the 29-3 classic hunter?? Do you need a tool like the one shown in Snapping Twig's post in this thread? I bought one at an almost giveaway price considering what I have learned about them.

Hi,

The front sight has four different height adjustments, each adjusted simply by using the appropriate allen wrench to screw that particular allen screw up or down.

To help understand it, I pulled out my removed front sight from the 29-5 pictured on pg. 1 of this thread. I've kept it, and its pins, in a bag for years. Here's how it works:

Silhouette matches are typically shot at four specific distances, the furthest being 200 meters. Shooters dial in each distance, well ahead in practice sight in sessions, for a specific number on their front sight to get the exact elevation needed at that particular distance.

Then, when shooting at that specific distance, they simply turn the sight to the correct number! The best thing about using this type of 4-way adjustable front sight is that you don't FORGET how many clicks up or down you made on the REAR sight . . . for once you do, you are screwed!

With a 4-way adjustable "silhouette" front sight, you thus leave the rear sight alone, except for windage. A pretty good idea, IMHO.

When you turn the dial, the inner part of the sight that has the partridge sight blade will pivot up or down on a pin that's towards the back end of the ramp, thus lifting or lowering the ramp with the right on its front. (That pivot pin can be seen on the side of the sight, between where the dial wheel and the rear of the sight).

NOTE: IN THE PICTURE, THE FRONT SIGHT IS ALL THE WAY DOWN IN THE FRONT, and the number on the rotating round dial is showing setting #4. That dial is round and has a number every 90 degrees as you turn it. (BTW, the sight is spring loaded, so since it is off the gun, the sight has dipped as low as it can at the front of the sight.)

Hope this helps.

T.