View Single Post

Old 09-27-2007, 06:49 AM
SWCA Member

Liked 10,113 Times in 4,790 Posts

No comments from Osprey since 9/22, but we can pass over that and will assume he is still alive and has both hands and all fingers.

Last evening I was looking up some info on 945s in the PC section of SCSW3. I happened to notice the picture of the "Ultralight 442" on page 352. What follows is a quotation from the description printed there, and I take the liberty to use it, but of course give credit to the authors Supica & Nahas. (Hopefully they will not take me to task. For those of you who don't own this book, it really is an excellent reference and any S&W man should have one.)

"...a few Model 442s with an aluminum alloy cylinder were made for the U.S. Secret Service as prototypes... These cylinders passed the 5000-round test using +P ammo with no failures."

Well, maybe this shouldn't be an at all, and of course it speaks only for the cylinder, not the frame, or the whole weapon. Nevertheless, I found this pretty interesting. This would be considerably in excess of what I have heard, from many years ago, that S&W considered the service life of airweight J-frame .38 Specials to be a minimum of 2,000 rounds (presumably with non-+P ammo, since it was not made in that era).